Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Downside of Being a Mom

Gasp! What?! Gasp! You mean there IS a downside to being a mom? And that someone will actually talk about it?! Yuppers! Now, don't get me wrong...I love having kids. I love being a Mom..I really do! It's just that sometimes that joy gets hidden in the, dare I say, drudgery of everyday life. My husband regularly works 13 hour days, and if you add in the hour of drive time, that means he's gone 14 hours out of the day. So, I'm alone almost all the time. It's up to me to change all the diapers, make all the meals, do all the dishes, do all the laundry, take care of all the discipline and do all that other not so fun Mom stuff. So, between all those chores, and they are definitely chores, I sort of forget that being a Mom can be fun. There are days when I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose my mind. Take the other day, for instance. I was sick, Adelae was being awful (jumping on the furniture, back talking, etc), Brinna was screaming at the top of her lungs, the dishes needed done, the living room was a disaster, I had two weeks worth of laundry to fold and put away, and it was about 8 hours until Ben came home from work. I sat down in the middle of the mess and cried and cried. Of course, this just made my contacts dry and my eyes puffy, but hey! I felt a little better. At that point, I made a decision. I decided that it's ok if the dishes sit, if we have chicken nuggets for dinner, if the laundry is wrinkled, and the floors aren't vacuumed. What isn't ok is for me to forget that I love being a Mom. It's NOT ok for me to forget to play with my daughters. So, after my good cry, I stuck Brinna in the Moby and we played. We played chase, we hide and seek, we colored, we sang silly songs and we danced. Guess what? The laundry is still there, we've had leftovers for dinner two nights in a row and I JUST finished up those dishes. The world didn't end, my husband didn't leave me, and we've all been in much better moods. Yup! There are downsides to being a Mom, but the good times definitely outweigh the bad!

No comments: