Sunday, June 21, 2009

To My Husband

I thought it would be fitting to dedicate my post today to my wonderful husband.

There are so so so many things that make Ben a great dad. It would take me days to even think of them all, let alone list them! I always knew Ben would be a great dad. He was a cat person! Any man that gets up at 6:00 am to feed his cat canned cat food will be a great dad. I can recall Ben and I's very first date. I asked him "So, do you want to have kids?" I'm pretty sure he about choked on his dinner! Little did we know that three months later, I'd be telling him that we were expecting our very first child together. We had only been together for about 4 months when I found out I was pregnant. I fully expected Ben to freak out, I mean, who wouldn't? But, he didn't at all. Instead, he looked at me with tears in his eyes and said "I love you." How cool is that?!

I had a rough time with Adelae's delivery and Ben was with me every single step of the way. Adelae was delivered via c-section at 37 weeks and they had to take her to the NICU to be evaluated. Ben was so torn, stay with his wife, or go with his baby girl. I gave him the go-ahead to go with our daughter. He literally sprinted out of the recovery room, almost knocking over my mother in the process! He was in that NICU with her (she was fine) until I got out of recovery, then he came and sat with me. What a great guy right? I was bedridden after my surgery and Ben changed every single diaper while we were at the hospital. He left the hospital one time in five days. He desperately needed a shower and a change of clothes. My memory is a bit hazy, but I'm pretty sure I had to force him to leave.

Ben was your typical nervous firs time Dad (much like I was a nervous first time Mom), but he helped when and where he could. 2 1/2 years later, he's still the most amazing Dad. He loves his little girl more than words can express. The first thing he does when he comes home from work is pick her up and cuddle her. He plays Adelae's favorite games, reads her favorite books, lets her get away with just about anything she wants, spoils her rotten, gives her baths, changes diapers and tells her bedtime stories.

Ben is also a fabulous provider for our family. When we had Adelae, we make the decision that I would be a stay at home mom. In order to make this happen, Ben has gone above and beyond the call of duty. He works overtime as much as he can and he often works two jobs so we can pay the bills. On his days off work (which are few and far between) he goes with us to the grocery store, mall or wherever else we need to go without complaint.

No wonder Adelae loves her Daddy so much!

1 comment: