Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I'm a Baby Wearer..get over it


I can recall the exact responses and looks I got when I told family and friends that I was planning on wearing my baby. Sometimes I got blank looks, other said "Oh! How neat!" and MANY other said "Ohhhhh---kaaaay," as if I were crazy. But, since I'm an individual, I forged ahead. I researched every type of sling and wrap I could find information on. I looked at name brand ones, home made ones, ones made with plain fabric, ones made with patters, carriers, ring slings, pouch slings, wraps..the list went on and on and on. How was I ever going to decide? I just about drove myself nuts with all the choices. Since I live in very rural Ohio, there wasn't a store I could go to and see all the choices. I had to run on instinct alone. Then, like a shining beacon, I saw Our Life Upstate . I don't remember how I stumbled upon her and her blog, but guess what?! She wore her baby! And blogged about it! How fabulous! I took lots of tips from her. Then my friend Gwenn said she was planning on getting some different types of carriers for her baby. Even better! After tons and tons of research and discussions with these two, and other, baby wearers I picked the Moby. I mostly decided on the Moby because it looked easy enough to make at home! I didn't want to pay full price, mostly because I'm just cheap and I knew I could make one cheaper. So, that was my plan. I put off buying the material because, even though I'm getting craftier, I wasn't sure I was willing to tackle the Moby just yet. Then, one day, I found a Moby at a garage sale! YAHOO!!! I was dying to try it out!
When Brinna was born, I took it to the hospital with me. I'm not ashamed to admit it, I wanted to put that tiny baby in that Moby so bad! I never did use it at the hospital though! No reason really, I just didn't. Once I did get around to putting her in it, my life completely changed. It really did!
I was amazed at how comfortable the Moby is. It's a lot, and I do mean A LOT of material, but it's not hard, once you get the hang of it. I wear my Moby all the time, even if there's not a baby in it! :) If I'm going somewhere, whether it's a quick trip to the post office or a long trip to the grocery, I put on my Moby. I like to put mine on before I leave the house and wear it in the car. Then when I get to my destination, I take Brinna out of her carseat, pop her in the Moby, get Adelae and we're off! I wear Brinna at home too. If I have dishes to do and she's being fussy, I put her in the Moby. She falls asleep almost instantly. She'll sleep in the Moby for hours. It's great! She's all warm, snuggly and very happy. I can get things done and she gets a nice long nap in. The best of both worlds!

2 comments:

Upstatemamma said...

I wear it in the car too!!!! Hubby thinks I am crazy but I find that to be easiest way. I am so honored by what you said about me. My awww shucks face is all red right now.

Amber said...

I loved our Moby too. BB grew out of it too fast - or I have a weak back - but it was worth it while it lasted!