Monday, July 20, 2009
We have a plan!
Well, sort of a plan anyway. Let me fill you in... Just in case you don't know, or remember, I had some horrible issues with my blood pressure when I was pregnant with Adelae. It started when I was about 6 months and progressively got worse until I finally reached the pre-eclamptic and finally eclamptic stages. So, obviously, this time around, we've been keeping a very very close eye on my blood pressure. It's been great, up until the last few weeks. It's still not terribly high, but it's high enough that I've been on the rocks about what to do. My plan all along has been to attempt a VBAC, unless my blood pressure didn't cooperate. Well, now my blood pressure isn't cooperating. It's steadily on the rise and I'm feeling worse and worse. In order to avoid the horror of what happened with Adelae (emergency c-section after failed two day induction), I've opted to forget the VBAC and go with the c-section. It's been a really really hard decision for me to make. I've tossed and turned for well over a week wrestling with this decision. Part of me wants to hold out and hope that things don't get worse, and the other part of me just wants it all over with. I missed a lot of the very beginning of Adelae's life because I was so sick and on so much medicine. I don't remember the first time I held her or the first time I nursed her. In fact, I don't remember most of my time in the hospital. I just remember that I was completely and totally miserable. I'm very concerned that if I let things go, that will happen with this baby. So, I'm opting to take care of matters before they get bad. It's such a tough decision and, as I mentioned, I've wrestled with it for quite some time. The hope is to get a surgery date scheduled for as soon as possible. I'm past the 38 week mark, so baby is fully developed. I've been assured that there shouldn't be any complications on that end. In fact, if I had decided from the beginning to do a c-section, I'd most likely have a date some time this week. At this point, we're just waiting for the ok from the doctor (I've been seeing the Nurse Practitioner). I'm hoping that he will give his ok and we'll be holding our sweet little girl in a few days. In the meantime, please keep us in your prayers. Surgery is very scary and, while I know that I have fabulous doctors, there are always risks. Pray that all goes quickly and smoothly.