Wednesday, April 29, 2009

One, Free, Four Zoey's!

As you may, or may not, know our cat, Zoey, was pregnant. Now she is the proud mommy of four brand new baby kittens! Hooray! That fact in itself is not so interesting, as the story that accompanies it.

A few days ago Adelae and I were outside enjoying the fantasic, if a bit windy, 80* day. As usual, we called for Annie (our dog) and Zoey (the above mentioned cat). Only Annie came, which isn't unusual. She was acting really really strange though. She didn't want to play, wouldn't leave my side and was very very whiney. Adelae and I proceeded with our outside fun. We played with sidewalk chalk, bubbles, took our customary walk around the yard to pick dandelions, etc. The whole time we were being followed by the dog, who continued to whine and run into her pen over and over again. I didn't pay much attention to be honest. Finally I said to Adelae "Do you think that Zoey had her babies? Maybe we should go into the barn and check!" At this point the dog quite literally sat on my foot, started whining and running into her pen. If she could talk, I think she would have said "FINALLY! I've been trying to get your attention all day!" So, we followed her. Sure enough, there was Zoey in Annie's doghouse with her brand new litter of kittens! I am happy to report that all four kittens and Mommy are doing just fine. Annie is the best aunt already! She will sit outside of the dog house when Zoey leaves to eat or roam around. If we go to look at the kittens, Annie is right there making sure we are careful and do no harm. I attribute this to the fact that we got Annie and Zoey at about the same time. They were both babies and have grown up together. I'm pretty sure they think they are sisters, or at the very least best friends.

Adelae loves her "baby Zoeys" and we have to go outside to see them about 6 times a day. We're waiting till their eyes open to handle them. I tried to pet one and Zoey didn't look very happy about that! Here are a few pictures of them they day they were born and at one day old.

Poor Zoey getting walked all over!
Photobucket

Four kittens in a pile. If that's not cute, I don't know what is!
Photobucket

Enjoying the sunshine. I just had to put this one 'cause it's funny!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Ashley T said...

I LOVE the picture of Adelae on the chair.. she looks so relaxed.

Ashley T said...

I forgot to mention that I changed the address of my blog.. http://athompsonthinks.blogspot.com/ I changed it and didn't realize that it wouldn't forward the link... So here you go!