Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My kid will never....

Before I was a mom I had a definate idea of the things I would never allow my kid to do. Well, almost 14 months later, I realize that it has all changed! Actually, the slide started almost from the minute she was born.

Things I swore would never happen:
Sleeping in my bed
Being addicted to the bottle
Have to be rocked to sleep
Run around in a dirty diaper
Wear a "leash"
Screech over and over again in public places
Run around the house with snacks of any kind
Watch too much TV
Not listen
Not eat meals

Things that have happened:
She slept in our bed for 4 months
Won't sleep without a bottle first
Absolutely has to be rocked to sleep. No question
Hmm...is that poopy I smell?
I'm seriously considering buying a harness. Like a leash, but with a more PC name.
Screeching...all the time! I think she likes the sound of her own voice.
Oh yeah, she loves to carry around her graham crackers. No sitting still for my little one!
Too much TV...well, not too much, but The Backyardigans and Diego are definately our friends.
Not listening...I guess it comes with the territory. She's normally pretty good, unless it's something she doesn't want to do.
Eating has always been a challenge. Adelae has her ideas of what's good and what's not. There is no possible way to make her anything she doesn't want to eat.

That said, there are lots of things that I swore she would do, and she does. Only if she feels like it of course! There are days when she tests my patience to it's fullest. I'm not a patient person, but I'm learning. I think it's so funny that I had such a perfect ideal image of what motherhood would be like. Lots of cuddles, snuggles and giggles. I sort of forgot about the temper tantrums and the idiosyncracies that make us all human. I know that I am blessed to have such a wonderful little girl, but would it be too much to ask for the kid to nap once in awhile?! :) I've been told that she has the disposition of her mother. If that's the case, I have a feeling we're in for a tough road ahead. I'm looking forward to it though. Now if we could just get her to say MaMa!
Remember the screeching? And temper tantrums...Yup..there's one in full force right now. Looks like Diego's over and so is the graham cracker. Time to go play blocks...again! :)

No comments: