Thursday, September 9, 2010

At least it's not bed bugs

Am I the only person that's totally freaked out by the bed bug epidemic? I'm petrified I check our mattresses about 3 times a day, just to make sure. So, you can imagine how freaked out I was when Brinna had three little red bumps on her cheek. I stripped the beds, flipped the mattresses and had a mini freak out session. No signs of bed bugs. Whew! Then I found more bumps. I kept telling Ben "It's bed bugs. I just know it's bed bugs." I made him re-check all the beds...twice. (It was the day after my surgery and I wasn't suppose to be doing anything.) Still no bed bugs. Yet the rash continued to spread. It's probably a good thing I was taking my Lortab (Vicodin) or I probably would have been having panic attacks. In case you don't know this about me..I HATE BUGS!
Anyway...the rash continued to spread. I thought "Hmm..chicken pox?" So I asked my stepmom. She said "chicken pox." So, I called the doctor. The phone nurse said "Not chicken pox since Brinna's been vaccinated." Fabulous. So now I'm back to bed bugs.
I can't take the not knowing, so I made an appointment for her. It took the doctor all of five minutes to make a diagnosis. Not bed bugs.
It's hand, foot and mouth. (Not to be confused with Hoof and Mouth or Mad Cow Disease.) Basically, she has a virus. There's really nothing we can do except to give her Tylenol or Motrin for her sore throat. At least it's not bed bugs!

No comments: