Thursday, May 1, 2008

I've been SCAMMED!

Lots of people have been asking me about my scam story, so here goes!

I posted an ad on Craigslist for child care for the summer. I received an email from a woman claiming to be an artist with a 2 year old daughter. She was coming into Fort Wayne to have her art exhibited and needed care for her 2 year old daughter during the day while she was at the gallery. Knowing nothing about art, I figured that was normal (It's not in case you were wondering. Most artsist aren't there the entire time). She had asked a few questions about me, my family, my background...normal questions for someone that may be caring for your child. I answered them fully believing I was communicating with a real person and a mother. I never once thought that I was being scammed. I didn't give any personal information you can't get off my MySpace page, this blog, or a Google search. Aren't I smart? ;P We exchanged a few more emails. It really did all seem to be on the up and up. Not to mention that I was ecstatic because I was going to be making lots of money while staying home with Adelae. Things have been pretty rough here and I really thought this would be a PERFECT solution. However, I was wrong. I received an email stating that this woman would like to pre-pay to assure her daughter a spot in my daycare. That made me stop right in my tracks. 1st...I told her several times that I didn't have a daycare 2. who lets someone they've never even spoken to on the phone watch their child? She stated that if I filled out this form, her employer would send me a check right away. She wanted my full name, address, gender, and race. Not sure why you would need all those things. I was getting a really really bad feeling about all this. I looked over the emails I had received and realized, I knew nothing about this woman or her family. So, I sent a return email stating that I require an agreement to be signed and returned before I accepted any payment. Needless to say, I received another email asking for my personal information. I replied that I knew this was a scam and I would be contacting the proper authorities.

I worry that there are other moms out there that may fall prey to the same scam. I'm considering contacting our local news media to share my story. I would hate to know that someone else had this happen to them when I could have stopped it. So beware, if it's too good to be true...it probably is.

The womans name was Sandra Wilson and the email was sandluvx@yahoo.com Be on the look out!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I received some scam emails when I posted on craigslist, but I knew they were scammers because the english was really bad and they were asking me to watch their children when I was ASKING for someone to watch Tabi in our house.
I'm so sorry this happened to you! At least you didn't give out enough personal info for them to really do some damage with!
I would definately report them! That really sucks.
By the way, we owe you four dollars! Email me and maybe we can drop it off tomorrow if you are going to be home (andreacohn@alumni.iu.edu)
By the way, if you want, I can let it be known on my moms group (fort wayne mom's unite) that you are taking kids for the summer.