Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Refocusing: My Faith

In addition to refocusing my marriage, I've spend the last year refocusing my faith. When my marriage was in trouble, my faith was also in trouble. I'm fairly certain the two go hand in hand.
It was hard for me to keep the faith when I felt like things were slowly falling apart around me. I did a lot of praying in that time. I just wanted answers. I wanted to know that everything was going to be ok. During those hard times, I found that praying really calmed me down. When things were particularly difficult, I'd say "Ok God, I can't handle this. I need a little help here." More often than not, I would feel immediately comforted. It was like a calm would just wash over me. I could take a second (or a minute) and refocus. I would think that what I was enduring was nothing compared to what Jesus endured for me. Suddenly, my problems weren't so bad. I could refocus.
Earlier this fall I felt this call. I knew that I was suppose to be doing more. Somewhere, I was suppose to be doing more. So, I volunteered to help with Children's Church on Sundays. Making the lesson plans, while time consuming, is so much fun. Teaching the children about the Bible has fulfilled a need I didn't even know I had. It's wonderful to see their eager faces each and every Sunday morning.
I can honestly say that if you had told me at the beginning of the year that I'd be such a large part of our tiny church, I wouldn't have believed you. I never though my faith was strong enough.
Turns out, all I needed to do was to refocus.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Very cool.

I've had a similar spiritual journey this year. I've always been a wanderer and a wonderer. I question everything and have a hard time just believing things. I need evidence. I need proof.

Since about 11th, maybe 12th grade, I've been searching for something and this year I think I found it. I'm not comfortable enough to blog about it yet, but I think I'm finally on the right track.