Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Great Ice Storm of 08

On Friday, December 19 we had a HUGE ice storm. It rained all night long and then immediately turned to ice. There was about a 2 inch coating of ice on everything. I was in bed and kept hearing these huge BOOMing noises. I was a little scared! I thought the roof was going to fall in! We lost power about 7:00 Friday morning and didn't get it back until 1:30 on Tuesday. It was a very long 5 days. Luckily, none of our pipes froze (thanks to my dad's diligence in taking care of my house) and we are back home again. Here are a few pictures of our yard the day of the big storm.

Directly out the back door.
Photobucket

The swing tree.
Photobucket

In the back yard looking West
Photobucket

The kitchen roof
Photobucket

Tree by the driveway.
Photobucket

Little tree right outside the back door coated in ice.
Photobucket

Back door and East side of the house. It was a solid sheet of ice!
Photobucket

We lost a few more limbs that what is in the pictures. All in all, we were pretty lucky. There doesn't appear to be any major damage. I'm just glad it's over!

No comments: